Brief biographies of some of the Companions
Abu Bakr as-Sideeq [radi’Allaahu anhu]:
- First to accept Islaam from amongst the men.
- Friend of the Messenger of Allaah [sallah Allaahu alayhi wa sallam]
- First Khaleefa of the Muslims.
- Kunya: Abu Bakr as-Sidqeeq
- Full real name: Abdullaah bin Abee Quhafah Uthmaan bin ‘Aamir al-Qurashee at-Taymee.
- Called Ateeq because he had a beautiful face [awhh, masha’Allaah].
- ‘Amr bin al’Aas asked: “O Messenger of Allaah, which of the men is most beloved to you? He said: Abu bakr” [Bukhaari/Muslim]
- Muhammad bin Jubair bin Mutim said: My father told me that a woman came to the Messenger of Allaah & spoke to him about something, and then he ordered her with something, so she said: O Messenger of Allaah, if I don’t find you? So he said: If you don’t find me, go to Abu Bakr’ [Bukhaari/Muslim]
- ‘Alee [radi’Allaahu anhu] said: ‘The best of this ‘Ummah after its Prophet is Abu Bakr & Umar. [Ad Dhahabee said: I swear by Allaah, the ‘Atheem, that ‘Alee said this & it is mutawaatir upon him, because he said it on the Mimbar of Koofah…”]
- He was buried next to the Messenger of Allaah [sallah Allaahu alayhi wa sallam]. His head placed near the Messenger’s shoulders.
Umar bin al Khattab [radi’Allaahu anhu]:
- 2nd of the great Khulafa of the Messenger of Allaah [sallah Allaahu alayhi wa sallam].
- Also known as Abu Hafs, full name: Umar bin al Khattab bin Nufail.
- Died in 23 A.H after leading Fajr prayer. Stabbed while praying.
- The Messenger of Allaah was always seen with Abu Bakr and Umar [radi’Allaahu anhum].
- His Khilaafah lasted for 10 years after the Khilaafah of Abu Bakr as-sideeq [radi’Allaahu anhu].
- The Messenger of Allaah [sallah Allaahu alayhi wa sallam] said: ‘Verily Allaah has placed the truth upon the tongue & heart of Umar.’ [Ahmad/Tirmidhee/Dawood/saheeh]
- The Messenger of Allaah [sallah Allaahu alayhi wa sallam] said: ‘If there were to be a Prophet after me, it would have been Umar al khattab.’ [Ahmad/Tirmidhee/Haakim/Hadeeth Hasan]
Aishaa [Radi’Allaahu anha]:
- Daughter of Abu Bakr as-Sideeq [radi’Allaahu Anhu].
- Wife of the Messenger of Allaah, after Khadeeja [radi’Allaahu anha] died.
- Angel Jibraa’el shwoed her to the Messenger of Allaah in his dream before he was married to her.
- 18 years old when the Messenger of Allaah died.
- She died 59 A.H on the 17th Ramadhaan.
- Abu Hurairah [radi’Allaahu anhu] buried her.
- Mother of the Believers; as-Siddeeqah.
- Umar [radi’Allaahu anhu] asked the Messenger of Allaah: ’ Who is most beloved of people to you?’ he replied ‘Aishaa’. Then he asked, from amongst the men? he replied: Her father [Abu Bakr as-Sideeq].
- Az Zhuri said: ‘If the knowledge of Aishaa was gathered against the knowledge of all the other wives of the Messenger of Allaah and all the women, then Aishaa’s knowledge would remain unsurpassed.
Abdullaah bin Abbas [radi’Allaahu anhu]:
- Great companion of the Messenger of Allaah.
- Full name: Abdullaah bin Abbas bin Abdul Muttalib.
- Son of the Uncle of the Messenger of Allaah.
- 13 years old when the Messenger passed away.
- Known as the scholar of the Ummah.
- Died in Taif in 70 A.H.
- Authentically narrated that the Messenger of Allaah embraced him and supplicated: ‘O Allaah, teach him the wisdom.’
- Ibn Umar said of him: ’ He was the most knowledgeable from the Ummah of Muhammad about what was revealed to Muhammad.’